[Web4lib] "Disruptive Scholarship: An Idea Whose Time Has Come | Re(Use) / Re(Mix) / Re(New)"

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Mon Jul 7 17:42:04 EDT 2008

Colleagues/

I am pleased to inform you of the availability of a corrected and revised version of my presentation delivered last week at the International Plagiarism Conference in Newcastle UK

"Disruptive Scholarship: An Idea Whose Time Has Come | Re(Use) / Re(Mix) / Re(New)"

ABSTRACT. Throughout history, humans have (re)used local resources to create not only buildings and fortifications, but monuments, roads, and a wide variety of other structures. For countless generations, artists, composers, and writers have freely incorporated elements from local and distant cultures to create new visual, musical, and textual forms.

In The Web 2.0 World, the open (re)combination of multiple media has become commonplace in many venues, practices that Lawrence Lessig, founder of Creative Commons, and others, would characterize as emblematic of a 'Remix ' or 'Read/Write' culture. Indeed, from his point of view, “the health, progress, and wealth creation of a culture is fundamentally tied to this participatory remix process”

In the recently-released Horizon Report 2008 - a joint publication of the New Media Consortium (NMC) and the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI), six emerging information technologies and practices that are expected to significantly impact educational organizations are profiled: Grassroots Video, Collaborative Webs, Mobile Broadband, Data Mashups, Collaborative Intelligence, and Social Operating Systems.

In this presentation, we will review the Read/Write Traditions of the Arts, Humanities, and Sciences; analyze key Past / Present / Future Participatory Technologies; and explore the potential of Web 2.0 for creating/fostering Disruptive Learning / Scholarship / Teaching in the 21st century.

The Director's Cut of The Presentation Is Accessible From

[ http://scholarship20.blogspot.com/2008/04/disruptive-scholarship-idea-whose-time.html ]

The Take-Home-Message Can Be Found In The Mock Tag Clouds At The End Of The Presentation.

Readers are encourage to suggest other tags by Commenting on the blog entry.

I wish to thank the Conference Organizers, particularly Helen Murray and Gill Rowell and the staff of
Northumbria Learning Ltd ,for the opportunity to present at this Most Excellent Conference.

Regards

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than  An Idea Whose Time Has Come
Victor Hugo
[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows ...
[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]

/Gerry