Re: [Web4lib] Google is “white bread for the mind"

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Wed Jan 16 13:09:22 EST 2008

This article is yet another example of how the public just doesn't
understand the relationship of libraries and the Internet.  Where is it
ever mentioned of the quality online resources that are ONLY available
via libraries (what private home has a subscription to literary
resources)?  The debate continues to be focused on books (and, by
extension, the library) vs. Google/Wikipedia.

"With libraries in decline, diminishing stocks of books and fewer
librarians, media platforms such as Google made perfect sense."  I'm
confused...is then an English phenomenon? Because most of what I read is
that libraries are doing just fine, thank you very much. In fact, many
are booming with increased usage and collections.

Additionally, would Prof B. object to digitized copies of the "200
extracts from peer-reviewed printed texts at the beginning of the year,
supplemented by printed extracts from eight to nine texts for individual
pieces of work. "  Apparently so: “I want students to experience the
pages and the print as much as the digitisation and the pixels - both
are fine but I want students to have both – not one or the other, not a
cheap solution,” she said.  (Cheap?)

Finally, I still do not understand the abhorrence to Wikipedia given
Nature's article that compared it favorably with Encyclopedia
Brittanica.  While I understand that there were some accusations of poor
design, this is not likely to explain all of the limited differences.
NOTE: this was not mentioned in article at all (only in the editorial).
All this article mentioned was Larry Sanger's quote.

Karen R. Harker, MLS, MPH
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049