[Web4lib] Image protection

Roy Tennant tennantr at oclc.org
Wed Jan 16 11:06:01 EST 2008

As a data point on photos on the web and protecting your intellectual
property, I'd like to tell my tale for what it's worth. I'm an avid amateur
photographer, and have been since I was a teenager (we won't go into how
long I've been doing this). A few years back I decided I wanted to put my
best work up on the web, which I am doing at <http://freelargephotos.com/>.

My principles are these: 1) Besides thumbnail preview images, I put up
larger versions of 1200 pixels on the long dimension (typically much larger
than most photo sites will dare because of the fear of stealing), 2) I also
send full versions (at least 4 megapixel) to anyone who requests such for
their personal use, 3) anyone is welcome to use my photos on their web site
so long as they link back to my site, and 4) I charge a small amount for
commercial use. In all cases I take people at their word. If someone says a
photo is for their own use I send it off, no questions asked.

This past year I fulfilled many requests for full-sized photos for personal
use (e.g., school papers, etc.), and sold 15. Sure, that isn't much, but it
helps defray my time in maintaining the site, as does the revenue from
Google ads. Photos from the site have ended up on the covers of books,
government reports, and even museum exhibits (taken by my daughter when she
was 12), see <http://freelargephotos.com/placements.html>. I've now taken on
other photographers as well.

Meanwhile, by encouraging linking I'm finding that my site now rises to the
top of many Google searches, such as "large photos", "large pictures" and
even "paris street scene" or "view from top of eiffel tower".

In my experience, generosity is rewarded. Certainly it is rewarded by notes
of thanks from parents with children writing reports, or people who miss
where they used to live and want to have a photo on their wall to remind
them of it, or the many other ways in which small kindnesses are
appreciated. The financial rewards are not large, but they are growing as
word gets out and links are made. My hunch is that I will end up making more
money by being open and trusting than many people or organizations make by
being closed off and mistrusting. But I don't (yet) have the evidence to
prove it. Stay tuned.
Roy