[Web4lib] Demise of IT?

Andrew amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Jan 10 15:59:20 EST 2008

Considering where IT was 20 years ago, where we are today and then
projecting out 20 years from now, I can safely predict that any
predictions for 20 years from now are probably going to be wrong. Having
said that, I would guess that the changes in technology and how we
deliver information 20 years from now are going to be so radically
different than how it is done today that comparing the two will be
pointless. Consider the concept of the educational institution and how
things like distance learning, virtual classrooms, telecommuting, and
remote access to information resources and systems are transforming the
idea of a college or university from a physical location into something
larger and more far-flung that exists far outside the physical
boundaries of the campus. In such an environment, the concept of
"in-house" becomes less and less relevant. I'm sure the Web4Libbers of
2028 will still be debating the relative merits of technology support,
how it's provided, who manages it  and whether our information portals
are better or worse than those provided by AmaGooHooSoft. But I wonder
whether the concept of "in-house" versus "outsourced" will even be
understood as we discuss it today.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library