[Web4lib] Library Automation Survey Results

Cloutman, David DCloutman at co.marin.ca.us
Thu Jan 10 14:43:07 EST 2008

Okay, I'm rethinking what I said earlier, thanks to some feedback from
Bill Drew and some experimentation. I think my mathematical explanation
was wrong, but I do have a fundamental objection to these that assign an
arbitrary quantitative value to purly qualitative states. You can't take
an average of "poor", "fair", "good", and "excellent" by defining
corralating values of 1, 2, 3, and 4, unless you mean to say that "fair"
is twice as good as "fair", but "excellent" is only 1.333 times as good
as "good". But perhaps you can in fact say 0 is "poor" and 9 is
"excellent", without assigning any other qualitative properties in
between, and that is okay then to average the results.

Anyhow, my apologies to the original poster for not thinking more
carefully before lodging my original criticism. I do stand by my
assertion with the type of question / analysis described above, but
clearly I now see a difference between the two types of scale questions,
and the appropriateness for the type of analysis that was used, being
used for each type of question.

- David

---
David Cloutman <dcloutman at co.marin.ca.us>