[Web4lib] Cognitive dissonance regarding recent Pew report

Reeder, Norm nreeder at torrnet.com
Tue Jan 8 17:00:26 EST 2008

What is quoted below is one of the more significant things that I saw in the report.  10 years ago, I think professor Thomas Childers (I can be corrected on that) did a study in Santa Monica.  They interviewed the public as they left the building.  They asked whether the person had asked the staff to help them or not and were they satisfied with what they got.

The results at that time and they are different than reported below, were that the public was equally happy whether they had used the staff or not.  The staff at Santa Monica however wasn't happy when they looked over what the public had found as they felt that in many cases they could have helped the public find better items than what they did find at the time.

The below study quotes indicated better satisfaction with those who got help from staff, and that's a change.

Thanks
Norm Reeder
Torrance Public Library