[Web4lib] ANNOUNCEMENT:Topic Maps 2008 Conference

Stringer-Hye, Suellen suellen.stringer-hye at Vanderbilt.Edu
Mon Feb 25 15:05:19 EST 2008

Hi all... I was asked to post this for a colleague (Steve Pepper, see
below) not on this listserv. It promises to be a groundbreaking
conference. Please forward this on to whatever individuals or groups
might be interested.

Thanks,

Suellen Stringer-Hye

Web Development Coordinator

Vanderbilt Libraries

*********

Come to Topic Maps 2008!

Librarians may not be able to stop the ice caps from melting but we can
certainly help prevent the world from drowning in information - provided
we stay abreast of new developments in technology.

One technology that we should be tracking carefully is Topic Maps, an
ISO standard based on bibliographic principles like collocation and
subject-centric organization of knowledge.

An excellent way to find out more about what is going on in Topic Maps -
and how it relates to library science - is Topic Maps 2008, a conference
that takes place in  Oslo, Norway, one of the strongholds of the Topic
Maps community, on April 2-4 2008.

The conference has "Towards the Vision of Subject-centric computing" as
its theme and it consists of a day of tutorials followed by two days of
presentations, most of them case studies showing how Topic Maps is being
applied around the world, in eGovernment, Knowledge Management,
technical documentation and - yes - libraries. This year the conference
is targeting librarians, library scientists and information architects
in particular, and there are plans for in-depth discussions of topics
such as the relationship between Topic Maps and Dublin Core, thesauri
and FRBR, and the role of Topic Maps in digital libraries.

There are some great keynote speakers lined up, including David
Weinberger, author of "Everything is miscellaneous", Alex Wright, author
of "Glut: Mastering Information Through the Ages", and Steve Pepper,
author of "The TAO of Topic Maps".

For more information, see www.topicmaps.com/tm2008. Registration is open
now. I encourage you to mark your calendars and start looking for
funding. This conference should not be missed!