[Web4lib] Wiki, Great Idea

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Feb 25 07:01:41 EST 2008

> Thanks Karen. As Walt Crawford likes to say, or words to that effect, real
> life always has a way of interfering with virtual life.

Well, my point was not so much "Life trumps Y" as that if I'm going to edit
a public article that discusses RFID, or any library technology, I'd rather
do it in Wikipedia, where it will have a larger and more proficient editing
community and be more findable. I don't always agree with Wikipedia's
editorial policy directions, but a lot of the content has a good running
start at being at least fuzzy-accurate. I also wonder if we're really doing
ourselves a favor by having wikis sprout like dandelions after a spring
rain. If I edit two wikis on Saturday, and five more sprout the next week,
should I edit those as well? (Clearly, I think not. ;> )

Did you also write about Knol? It's interesting (inevitable) that Wikipedia
would have competitors... and that the Big G would want to get in that
space.

Karen G. Schneider