[Web4lib] Which databases can Google Scholar crawl?

Campbell, James (jmc) jmc at virginia.edu
Wed Feb 20 10:06:26 EST 2008

And this makes sense. When libraries track their holdings, they track a combination of titles and issues. It's not enough to say that you have Brain, you add that you have it from 1996 to the present.  Google knows they're crawling Science Direct (and from the publicity we know it too), but they can't say or don't want to take the trouble to say which Elsevier journals or what years are picked up in each crawl.

We used to complain a lot about aggregators, that their holdings changed constantly, but in fact that seems to be increasingly true of the major journal publishers as well. Journals jump merrily from Oxford to Blackwell to Cambridge to Wiley. Sometimes the backfile stays at the old site, sometimes the new publisher sets up a complete archive (Oxford in particular seems to be using that as a way of wooing journals). Google's policy allows them to avoid all that nuisance.

      - Jim Campbell

      Digital Access Librarian | Librarian for German
      University of Virginia Library | Charlottesville, VA 22904-4112

      513 Alderman | campbell at virginia.edu | 434-924-4985