[Web4lib] Barcodes printed using Firefox

Richard Samford samford at pittstate.edu
Fri Feb 15 12:32:42 EST 2008

    I've run into an interesting problem lately, and haven't heard
anyone else ask about it, so I thought I would.

    I'm having trouble with our barcode scanners reading OCLC
Interlibrary Loan "Request Identifier" barcodes.  It does fine when the
request form is printed using Internet Explorer or CLIO, but it doesn't
scan at all when the same request is printed using Firefox, those
barcodes are noticeably different.  In fact the print version, on the FF
screen, _shows_ a barcode that _is_ scanable.  I did a screen grab and
pasted it into Photoshop and printed it, it scans great, but when you
print the request form out using Firefox, it prints a different (and
unscanable) barcode.

    Of course, I cannot find any references on the manufacturer's web
site (Metrologic), Mozilla, or the OCLC site, even backed up and punted
on Google.  Anyone out there have a working knowledge on why FF might
handle barcodes differently, and how to squish it?

Thanks!  Richard