[Web4lib] Wireless Device for providing roving service?

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Thu Feb 14 16:00:17 EST 2008

According to the apple store iPod Touch does do 802.11 b/g.  And we have a
secure wireless vlan on campus only for the iPod Touch.
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/dkstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723641&node=home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch

Each of our staff and faculty can be issued a Palm, we always try to get the
newest and not keep more than one or two in stock.

As far as laptops we have for check out Dell d430s and older models, and MAC
Books.  About fifty laptops total and getting ready to put out 25 more.  We
started with IBM ThinkPads in Spring of 2000.

We have just ordered a couple of tablet PCs for staff/faculty use.

Personally, I like my Nokia 810, with 802.11 b/g or you can connect with your
cell phone and bluetooth.  It has gps, camera, zoom/full screen, web browser,
chat, media players, image viewer, RSS feed reader, file manager, pdf reader,
sketch pad, terminal, remote desktop, Skype and Gizmo, and of course would
not be complete without Mahjong ;-).  It can set to automatically check
Google mail and Google Calendars look great.  The screen slides up to reveal
a larger than most PSAs keyboard.  And you can download and install dozens of
other programs.  But then it is Linux what else would you expect.  I really
think this is the best value for a PDA that does just about all of it, theres
no bar code reader but I bet you could plug one in the USB port and it would
work.

The Nokia 700 and 800 are below the price of a Palm and I think give you a
better value.  The 810 is priced competitively with the palm and will
probably go down when the 820 or 900 come out, I bet they are working on one
of those now.

Thomas

On Monday 11 February 2008 09:48, Pennington, Buddy D. wrote:
> I would put the iPod Touch in the PDA with wireless category.  It is a
> wonderful device but the small screen could pose a challenge to library
> service delivery.
>
> Also, it does not support 802.1x, which is used on many campus wireless
> networks (ones that ask students to log in for wireless access).
> Probably not an issue for public libraries but it is a problem for many
> academics.
>
> Buddy Pennington
> Serial Acquisitions Librarian
> University of Missouri - Kansas City
> University Libraries
> 800 E. 51st Street
> Kansas City, MO  64110
> 816-235-1548
>
> UMKC University Libraries: Discovery. Knowledge. Empowerment.

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst		P O Box 32026
University Library			Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

"... using OpenOffice.org, and save them back to disk automatically,
in MS Word format.  They surf the Web, check e-mail, do instant
messsaging, view YouTube videos, visit their Facebook pages, learn
touch-typing skills and lots more.  Our public library has been
offering these Linux public stations for the past three years."
 - Phil Shapiro Linux Journal January 2008

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/