[Web4lib] Paperless society

Kraft, Michelle kraftm at ccf.org
Mon Feb 11 14:26:10 EST 2008

Neither way is perfect and each situation needs to be evaluated to suit
your needs, professionally or personally.  Having print provides us with
some opportunities as well as liabilities.  Having it online does as
well.

MLA is working on emergency preparedness for medical libraries. I am
currently in the midst of trying to find a Regional Emergency
Preparedness Coordinator for hospital library services, so my thinking
is right now is a little skewed to emergency preparedness and libraries.

Power Outages:
In 2003 more than 60 million customers in the United States and Canada
were affected by a multi state and international power outage for days.
In that instance, NOTHING was available electronically.  Yeah for books
and paper, right?!  Well if you knew where the book was and could find
it in our dark stacks (emergency lighting works to keep you from bumping
into things not reading typeface).  Technically our back up generator
could have handled keeping the server running.  However, the a/c was
offline (usually standard operating procedure in a power outage since
most generators can't handle dealing with the power demands).  If we
turned on our servers they would have burnt up without a/c.  There was
no internet, no online catalog, and no online access to MEDLINE.  You
couldn't photocopy anything.  If you could blindly find the book/journal
you had to go to the windows and sit and read by the sunlight.  At least
we had windows! But how many patrons let alone librarians could easily
the answer to every reference question?  The print is there and
available, but there is a question of accessibility.  If you can ACCESS
it, THEN the print works when your electricity is out. If you can't
access it when the power is out then it doesn't really matter if it is
print or online, it is inaccessible.

Fire, flood, Storm Damage:
Libraries who have suffered fire, flood, or storm damage have had huge
amounts of print resources become unavailable and lost (perhaps
forever).  You can't read a burnt up journal or a moldy decaying book.
However the online database resources (not locally held) like journal
and book collections can be used as soon as library establishes
connectivity.  In the case of a total library disaster the library
theoretically can be temporarily set up off site with a laptop and
internet access.  Information in the printed format is unavailable, but
that same book or journal online is available and ready for use.

Nothing is perfect.

Michelle Kraft, MLS, AHIP
Senior Medical Librarian
Cleveland Clinic Alumni Library