[Web4lib] "Reference Service 2.0" models and Web applications

Terence K. Huwe thuwe at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 11 13:05:16 EST 2008

Hello Web4Libers:

I'm participating in a pre-design process that will eventually lead to the
redesign of a very large undergraduate library.

Specifically, I'm working with a group that is assessing how reference and
consultation services should be configured (flexibly) in the new building.

We all know that service strategies need to follow user needs and styles in
the Web 2.0 era.  So I'd like to poll the membership of this list to see
what you've come up with!

Please tell me how you are configuring reference service or planning to do
so in the coming months or years.  Examples might include:

*virtual reference
*private consultation spaces
*open-floor reference (roving)
*"Learning Commons"-specific services, e.g., walk in training or offering
patrons food- for focus-groups
*instant messaging
*class presentations
*innovative faculty-librarian relationship building
*classroom teaching
*dispersing public service staff among faculty
*coordinating related services such as term paper assistance, IT help,
student counseling
*use of wikis, blogs and other social interactive software

Please reply to the list as this kind of survey can be very interesting
reading for everybody.

Thanks!  TH

Terry Huwe
Director of Library and Information Resources
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE)
University of California, Berkeley
2521 Channing Way, #5555
Berkeley, California 94720-5555
Voice:  (510) 643-7061