[Web4lib] The paperless society? - article in today's NY Times

Andrew amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Mon Feb 11 12:25:24 EST 2008

Mark,

The "first sale" doctrine says that you can "sell or otherwise dispose"
of a work. It doesn't say that you can make an electronic copy of the
work, even if it's for your own personal use. There's nothing in the US
law that explicitly grants you that right. It's another story in Australia:

http://www.mipi.com.au/proposed.htm

or New Zealand:

http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp?category=Legal%20Rights&subcategory=Travel%20%26%20entertainment&docid=1800&topic=Copyright%20law&title=Your%20rights%20explained&contenttype=summary&bhcp=1

The couple of court cases in the US that have touched on this issue have
left the impression that making electronic copies of music for personal
use or backup is OK. But there's nothing written in law and I think you
would be challenged to extend that argument to making an electronic copy
of a printed book.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library