[Web4lib] Re: Google Search Appliance and OPACs

Casey Bisson cbisson at plymouth.edu
Mon Feb 11 11:22:15 EST 2008

Norma Jean:

Can you offer an example search where Google returns a screen full of
results from libraries? I feel lucky if I see even one result from a
library in the top 10. The above sounds more argumentative than I
mean, but I really am looking for examples, as they'd offer something
to learn from.

The bigger shame is that we keep looking to centralized solutions when
Google and the rest of the web keep telling us they want distributed
solutions. Isn't it a shame that we've not yet opened our catalogs to
the kind of remixing that will consistently deliver next generation
innovations, including finding library results that are relevant to
your current location in your search engine of choice?

--Casey

On Feb 9, 2008, at 3:15 PM, Ms Norma Jean Hewlett wrote:

> [...]
> I absolutely hate searching Google and getting a whole screen full of
> links to book records from other libraries, none of which are close to
> my home or of any use to me.
> [...]

> [...]
> isn't it a shame that there is no central
> database we could all place our holdings into? Isn't it a shame that
> there is no way a patron can easily use this central database to find
> out whether their local library has this book?
> [...]

Casey Bisson

Information Architect
Plymouth State University