[Web4lib] Paperless society

David Rothman david.rothman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 10:34:17 EST 2008

Bill, nobody said one size fits all and nobody said that phone books are
going to disappear, so please put away your straw men.  I have not called
anyone names, I have no chastised anyone, I have not told anyone what tools
they should use.

I've only said that just because one user still uses the oldest available
container for this kind of information doesn't negate the fact that
phonebooks are becoming more scarce.  We all know why they are becoming more
scarce- it is for the same reason that print newspaper circulation numbers
continue to fall.

These are a meaningful indicators of a trend that will continue to impact
the work of libraries- even those with librarians who prefer the paper
phonebook.

Best,

-David