[Web4lib] Online Communities / Online Social Communities / Virtual Communities of Practice?

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sun Feb 10 15:35:18 EST 2008

***APOLOGIES FOR RECEIPT OF DUPLICATE POSTINGS***

Colleagues/

I Need To Tap The Wisdom-Of-The-Web ...

I am interested in the Similarities / Differences of the following related Web-phenomena:

=Online Communities

=Online Social Networks

=Virtual Communities of Practice

I am also interested in Any and All Significant ***Examples*** And/Or  ***Research*** about

>>Virtual Communities of Practice<<

>>Online Communities<<

[I Have Online Social Networks More/Less Covered[:-)]

BTW: I am aware of the Most Excellent Work of danah boyd [ http://www.danah.org/ ]

===NOTE: I am particularly interested in examples/research in Science / Technology 'Communities' [especially Chemistry / Physics ] ===

---IF POSSIBLE, PLEASE COMMENT ON THE BLOG ENTRY AT---

[ http://onlinesocialnetworks.blogspot.com/2008/02/similaritiesdifferences-of-communities.html ]

I  Will Post A Summary Later This Month

Thanks!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than  An Idea Whose Time Has Come
Victor Hugo
[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows ...
[ http://www.alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]