[Web4lib] Wireless Device for providing roving service?

Peter Schoenberg PSchoenberg at EPL.CA
Thu Feb 7 15:06:46 EST 2008

I would love to hear what devices are being used to provide roving (within library) service to customers.

Now that wireless is in place within our locations for public use, we are considering options for letting staff provide service wirelessly.
	(Wireless network security and separation of staff vs public traffic will be taken care of, my question is about the physical devices)

Simply having a browser to navigate the website and catalogue would be one key functionality.

Some options that have been discussed in our preliminary conversations:

1) PDA with wireless 		- certainly portable, but small screen size is a challenge
2) Tablet PC 			- good for screen size
3) Laptop 			- getting heavier, but full functionality and keyboard
4) Vendor software / device	 - e.g. SIRSI's PocketCirc application, which has full circ functions

Would like to hear what your experiences have been or what your investigations are leading you towards.

We are a 16 location public library, with a large range of building, collection and staffing sizes.

Thanks
Peter