[Web4lib] Google Search Appliance and OPACs

Casey Bisson cbisson at plymouth.edu
Tue Feb 5 14:33:48 EST 2008

It's a good idea, and aside from the potential for improved search
results, the opportunity to make an entire library (all our catalog
records + all our other web content) searchable in one place is a good
one.

A few challenges:
+ Most OPACs are set to refuse search crawlers, or their URLs are not
durable, or they otherwise confuse crawlers.
+ OPAC displays are not well marked up for search crawlers.
+ Google (and the appliances) do best when there's a rich web of links
between resources[1], but very few people link to our catalogs in that
way, so they fall back to the keyword index.

I've tested a Google Mini[2] in connection with Scriblio[3], which I
designed to be easily indexed by search engines. One huge limitation I
faced was that the Mini I have will index up to 100,000 pages, far
fewer than the 330,000 bib records in my catalog[4]. But, among those
records it did index, the results were about as good as the keyword
indexing in Scriblio. The special Google Sauce, as it turns out, is in
measuring links between pages. And among the pages the Mini could
index, there just weren't any meaningful links that it could use to
improve the findability of the 'right' resources.

On the other hand, Google.com does a fine job of indexing Scriblio for
my library. Note the position of plymouth.edu in these searches:

http://www.google.com/search?q=a+baby+sister+for+frances
http://www.google.com/search?q=joe+monninger

It would seem that one of the most important things we can do is make
our catalogs easily linkable and indexable, then encourage our users
to link to the resources they value. As our users link to more
records, their findability in any search engine should improve greatly.

--Casey

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_economy
[2] http://www.google.com/enterprise/mini/
[3] http://about.scriblio.net/about