[Web4lib] accessible library web services

McHale, Nina nina.mchale at cudenver.edu
Tue Feb 5 13:33:24 EST 2008

All,

For an incredibily humbling experience (even if your code validates)
download the JAWS screen reader and try to browse your library's web
pages, especially the catalog. You can use JAWS for without the spendy
license in half hour spurts, after which you need to restart Windows.

www.freedomscientifc.com

And the "Next Generation" catalog (or anything AJAX-based) is another
matter; Peggy Shaughnessy of Fort Collins, Colorado Public, wrote a
great article for the journal Colorado Libraries called "Advocating for
Accessibility in the Next Generation Catalog." Colorado Libraries
(disclosure: I'm the content editor) is available through the WilsonWeb
library database--2007 will be up there eventually.

And, to toot my own horn a bit, here's a presentation about JAWS and web
accessibility that I did at a local conference last fall:
http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~nmchale/presentations/cal2007/index.htm

Nina

Nina McHale, MA/MSLS
Assistant Professor, Web Librarian
Auraria Library
http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~nmchale/

Serving the University of Colorado Denver,
Metropolitan State College of Denver,
and the Community College of Denver

1100 Lawrence Street
Denver, Colorado 80204