[Web4lib] Web technologies and public access

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Mon Feb 4 15:46:23 EST 2008

Richard Wiggins wrote:
> Karen,
>
> With all due respect (and much is due) --
>
> You said you found less credence in a Web site because it was so 1995.
>
> I know exactly what you mean.  I get it.  Some sites just so exude, well,
> 1995.  But that is the presentation.  It is not the words.  It is not the
> meaning.  The words are what they say.  Hemingway does not differ in
> paperback.
>
> Your thesis worries me.  Wisdom does not exist per se in Web design.  Clever
> design may exhibit wisdom, but words are words.  Design and text may marry
> -- but the text matters.

Haven't we already had this discussion?  Like say, in 1910 -- or maybe
it was the Fifties?  Form over function, ornament and crime -- you never
win.

LEO

P.S. I tend to side with the "ornament" people but that's because I'm a
tender sensitive human being.

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)
aim/msn/yhoo/goog: 'leorobertklein'