[Web4lib] Web technologies and public access

Pons, Lisa (ponslm) PONSLM at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri Feb 1 11:05:12 EST 2008

For a research project for Research Methods class I took online, my
project involved Library 2.0 and Accessibility. In a nutshell, I
wondered to what degree libraries were considering accessibility when
looking at new "web 2.0" technologies as they apply to "Library 2.0".

The answer, for the most part was: I couldn't find evidence that many
libraries were. Literature review, online review, etc... Did not turn up
evidence of concern. Not to say they aren't, I just didn't see it at the
time (this is was one course, so... Time was limited).

However, there is concern in general about web 2.0 and accessibility. I
can point you to:

http://www.w3.org/TR/aria-roadmap/.

>From which this comes:

"The Roadmap for Accessible Rich Internet Applications (WAI-ARIA
Roadmap) addresses the accessibility of dynamic Web content for people
with disabilities. The roadmap introduces the technologies to map
controls, AJAX live regions, and events to accessibility APIs, including
custom controls used for Rich Internet Applications (RIAs). The roadmap
also describes new navigation techniques to mark common Web structures
as menus, primary content, secondary content, banner information and
other types of Web structures.These new technologies can be used to
improve the accessibility and usability of Web resources by people with
disabilities, without extensive modification to existing libraries of
Web resources.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/waiaria

http://www-03.ibm.com/able/resources/ajaxaccessibility.html

http://test.cita.uiuc.edu/aria/

http://www.webstandards.org/2007/04/11/accessible-rich-internet-applicat
ions-aria-at-ala/

There is a lot out there, and it does take extra effort. It is also
challenging. Just this week I had to explain (fot the 1,000th time)to
one of our editors why we don't allow setting font size in pixels, why
they can't just apply styles to their pages-that they must use a style
sheet.

But I try...