[Web4lib] Printer questions

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Thu Dec 11 14:02:14 EST 2008

Some color printers allow you to specify (in the printer driver) whether
you are printing in color mode or B&W mode. I have also heard that some
printers use all colors for black if printing in color mode. So you might
explore the printer driver's options.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Robin wrote:

> I recently had the staff in one particular workroom complain to me that
> their two color printers were using up huge amounts of colored toner,
> despite the fact that they only print in black (one person had been
> using red a little bit for some charts but said that it was minimal).
>

> One person told me she had been informed that these machines use all
> colors together to print in black. Since there's a black cartridge, this
> seems unlikely to me, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about printers to
> be certain.
>

> I am trying to find out if there's any way to print just black, using
> just the black cartridge, on these printers, or if we do in fact have to
> continue replacing color cartridges as well. These printers are heavily
> used and frequent replacement of all the cartridges is problematic.
>

> Both are HP LaserJet 3600Ns.
>

> If you can shed any light on this for me, I'd be very grateful.
>

> Thanks!
>

> Robin Boulton
> IT Manager
> St. Charles Public Library District
> St. Charles, IL 60174
> (630) 584 0076 x 258
> Cell:(630) 918 8738
> http://www.stcharleslibrary.org/ <http://www.stcharleslibrary.org/>
> rboulton at stcharleslibrary.org <mailto:rboulton at stcharleslibrary.org>

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA