[Web4lib] Validating different patron groups for databases/ebooks

David Kennedy davekenn at umd.edu
Fri Aug 29 11:58:46 EDT 2008

Mark,

At University of Maryland, we are doing this with Shibboleth.  With
Shibboleth, we are able to provide a single sign on between the following
library services: aleph, metalib, illiad and ezproxy.

Furthermore, our campus' shibboleth identity provider is fronted with CAS.
(CAS was in place on our campus already.)  This gives us a single sign on
with non-shibboleth-enabled library services, including a dspace repository
and course reserves software, which are CAS-enabled (as well as some smaller
web applications).

Our campus' portal and blackboard instance are both in the process of
becoming CAS-enabled, scheduled for the end of the fall semester.  So, by
the end of the fall semester, our campus single sign on will allow the
integration between portal/blackboard and library resources that you refer
to in your email.

With regards to different patron groups, we make authorization decisions at
the application level.  For instance, we can configure ezproxy to authorize
access to certain online resources based on user attributes delivered via
shibboleth.  Similarly, metalib and illiad make user authorization decisions
based on shib-provided user attributes.

Dave
David Kennedy
Manager, Digital Collections and Research
University of Maryland
3199 McKeldin Library
College Park, MD 20742
davekenn at umd.edu