[Web4lib] Mac OS 10.5 and technical issues

Mark Gooch mgooch at wooster.edu
Fri Aug 8 17:04:13 EDT 2008

We have a couple of technical issues with some new iMacs we just
installed running OS 10.5 and I was wondering if anyone else has seen
these and possibly found solutions.

The first problem has to do with the iMac displaying when connected to a
digital projector.  We are using an iMac as an instructor station and
the display is inconsistent.  The projector we are using is rather old
but when our IT folks tested the iMac with a brand new projector it had
the same issues.  They have tried an older Mac laptop running OS 10.5
and had no issues.  They have concluded it is an issue with the chipset
or video card.  Does this sound possible? have others had this issue?

Our other issue has to do with using the Guest account feature of OS
10.5 to lock down the computer.  We have had issues with EBSCO databases
not working properly on Firefox.  The IT folks have concluded that
Firefox is trying to access files for which it doesn't have permission
under the guest account.  Additionally, if a program (such as virus
protection or Office) is updated, the Guest account will no longer allow
the program to run as it sees it as a new program.  Has anyone found
workarounds to this issue?

Thanks
Mark

--
Mark D. Gooch
Technology and Government Information Librarian
mgooch at wooster.edu
AIM: mgooch90
Yahoo! IM: mgooch1