[Web4lib] web forms

Robert Pesale pesalero at wblib.org
Fri Aug 8 10:58:40 EDT 2008

We had suffered from similar spamming problems through our web forms.  After spending some time researching a solution, we found a site called Just Humans: http://www.justhumans.com/.  They use a technique of randomizing the order of 6 clickable pictures as well as randomizing the request of which picture you are supposed to click on in order to submit the form.

I have duplicated the idea for our web forms as you can see here:
http://www.wblib.org/research/assignalert.php  as you refresh the page you will see that the order of the images change randomly as well as what you are being asked to click on.

After implementing this submission feature along with forcing certain input boxes on the forms to contain data we have eliminated our spam to a few a month, sometimes even none.  I hope this helps.

Robert Pesale
Coordinator of Information Technology
West Bloomfield Township Public Library
4600 Walnut Lake Road