[Web4lib] bandwidth limiting products

Scott, Tina tscott at portsmouthva.gov
Mon Aug 4 15:23:32 EDT 2008

We use 8e6's R3000 filter which will allow us to set a quota for the amount of time we allow patrons to access bandwidth-intensive sites.  I have not put it into use as of yet, but will be forced to because our staff is being impacted as a result of sharing our network with patrons.  (Sharing the network is beyond my control)  As soon as the libraries open, our bandwidth drops far below dial-up and we have dedicated T1s out.  I hate to limit the service we provide our patrons, but have come to the difficult decision to do that.  Every site you go to online now has a video.  Its great, but it takes too many resources.

Tina Scott

Library Systems Administrator
Portsmouth Public Library
601 Court St., Portsmouth, VA 23704
757-393-8501, x32      Fax: 757-397-4235
http://www.portsmouthpubliclibrary.org/