[Web4lib] What to call the links

Suelzer, Elizabeth suelzer at msoe.edu
Wed Apr 30 21:21:47 EDT 2008

The library I work at is undergoing a site redesign. In the hopes of
making the site more user friendly, we want to get away from using
library terminology (when appropriate) and use terms that are more
intuitive to our students. An example of this would be labeling the link
to the catalog as "search for books" instead of "catalog," or saying
"borrow from other libraries" rather that "interlibrary loan."

In your opinions, would this be helpful for college students, or do you
feel that the term "catalog" is intuitive enough.  Will I be dumbing
down our site, or will I make it easier to use? Also, do you have
examples of how you have changed the language on your site to make it
less librarianese and more consumer friendly?

Thank you.

Elizabeth Suelzer
suelzer at msoe.edu <mailto:suelzer at msoe.edu>