[Web4lib] PubMed and ILLiad

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Fri Sep 28 17:23:11 EDT 2007

Ilana,

It would be pretty trivial to make a script to accept the PMID, grab
the MeSH and make a 0.1 version OpenURL to feed ILLiad.

I don't know what your library supports, but here's the pubmed lookup
client in our resolver:
http://umlaut.library.gatech.edu/umlaut/browser/umlaut/trunk/app/models/dispatch_services/pmid_lookup_client.rb

It's ruby and wouldn't work exactly for your purposes, but it gives an
idea of how to grab the MeSH record from Pubmed and parse the relevant
information for an OpenURL.

Basically, the URL:
http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/efetch.fcgi?db=pubmed&retmode=xml&rettype=full&id=

is the way to get the XML.

Such a service could theoretically be useful if your future link
resolver doesn't support PubMed lookups, either.

-Ross.