[Web4lib] Benchmarks for library success in social networking

Toby Greenwalt theanalogdivide at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 10:37:06 EDT 2007

[cross-posted]

Hi all,

I'm doing a presentation on 2.0 technologies in a few weeks, and I'm trying
to find a new angle to address libraries' use of social networking site.
Past talks I've done on this subject all seemed to focus on the "cautionary
tale" aspect, contrasting what successes libraries have had with the myriad
worries and pitfalls. I'd like to place a stronger focus on the positive
this time around.

So I put it to you, almighty hive-mind: what do you consider benchmarks for
success as far as the social networking angle is concerned? These can be
things you've encountered with your own libraries, or simply the goals you'd
aim for if you were to develop a SN presence.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Toby Greenwalt
Skokie Public Library