[Web4lib] Qualifications for a Web Designer/Developer

Jonathan Gorman jtgorman at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 20 11:02:37 EDT 2007

David Kemper wrote:
>What qualifications (i.e. key skills, must-have experience) are
>required to be recognized by employers as a professional web designer
>/ developer (be it in a library or non-library environment)?

Some things I'd be looking for if I was hiring for a position like this:

Design Aspects

1) Grasp of design and usability.   At least demonstration that they know some common usability practices as well some resources for finding out more.  (Alertbox comes to mind) Even better, they know how to do the testing as well.

2) Demonstrated knowledge about CSS and more modern ways of creating webpages.  Knowledge of techniques and demonstration of various workarounds for IE.  I'd like to see that the person follows resources like A List Apart.  A good discussion of positioning nightmares of CSS would also convince me they're not just parroting some of the pundits on this issue.

3) Good artistic eye, an ability to make a clear display.  I'd like to see a variety of pages in a portfolio that shows the range the person can do while still maintaining an attractive page, good design and good usability.

4) Creativity and originality in the portfolio.

Developer side:
1) Good understanding of Javascript.  Not just the ability to modify existing scripts but explain to me things like the event model, DOM, and maybe even how AJAX works.  I'd be very cautious of someone who seems to do a lot of cut and pasting.  Code reuse is a very good idea, but simply shoving code in is a warning sign of cargo-cult programming.  Cargo-cult programming seems more common among web developers than some others.  Using a library or an api, however, is a good sign.

2) I'd like to see experience in PHP and possibly Perl.  Some example code.  Some discussion of various software development methodologies.  How do they test code, keep track of modifications, collaborate with others?  I'd like to see someone who uses versioning and some form of quality control, ideally unit testing and regressive testing.

3) Good understanding about web servers and the http protocol.  Doesn't need to be a wiz, but should be able to tell when to use a GET or a POST at least.  Ideally would know enough about web servers to be able to configure them and even do things like mod_rewrite for Apache.

4) No fear of playing around with new systems and web applications.  They should have some experience with things like CMS, blog software, wikis from a perspective of the publisher of information.

4) Ideally, some demonstration curiosity in new techniques and languages.  I'd look for someone who's played with Ruby on Rails, Scriptaculous (http://script.aculo.us/) and things like that.  I'd avoid someone who is t

Ok, I realize that this is an unlikely find and also probably describes some of my own biases.  But overall I'd look for someone who has some good fundamentals as far as documentation, development, and design.  Details can be taught and new languages can be learned.  It's harder to predict how long good habits take to accumulate.  Personalities certainly can't be established very well in an interview process, but they can be hinted at.

Enough babbling.  Hopefully I haven't frightened anyone.

Jon Gorman