[Web4lib] Coding for IE5.2 on a Mac?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Sep 18 15:00:11 EDT 2007

On 9/18/2007 1:45 PM, Marc Bertone wrote:

>>From the Mac users that I have talked to, I believe the majority of people
> are now using FireFox v2.x for their browser, followed by Safari and then
> IE.  I would recommend that you show the Director of Communications the
> following browser usage statistics from thecounter.com;

Even better - show the same stats from your own server (not counting
staff IPs, since your Dir. Comm. probably skews the numbers).

> http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2007/September/browser.php.  It looks like
> you can expect maybe 1% of users still on any form of IE5.x (PC or Mac).

IE5/Mac was a very different beast than IE5/Win: they both had their
problems, but they were very different problems.  So don't let any
obsolete Windows browsers let you overcount the number of obsolete Mac
browsers.

(Last 50,000 hits on our main web server: 1465 from Safari; 1356 from
Firefox and its brethren on Mac; 12 from Mac IE5.)

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu