[Web4lib] basic explanations of css layout

Will Kurt wkurt at bbn.com
Tue Sep 11 09:11:16 EDT 2007

Don't forget ems which are based on the size of the character text
box, so they have some of the best features of both px and %, they
scale but still give you some tighter control of space and proportions.

And while I can't recommend a book (w3schools ftw-
http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp ), I can highly suggest that
you install the Firefox webdevolper extension:
http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/  which is probably the
best tool out there for any web-related work.

For learning it's very helpful as it allows you to edit the CSS on
any site and see the changes made in real time (of course this only
effects the version of the style sheet stored in your cache).  And as
your skills advance you'll find it increasingly more useful (DOM
inspector, plus the ability to change form POSTs to GETs is worth it alone).

Hope that helps,
Will