[Web4lib] basic explanations of css layout

Rick Mason rcmason at rsproductions.net
Mon Sep 10 21:38:01 EDT 2007

Hi Ray,

The book I reach for when I want a good, straightforward explanation is
"Sams Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours" by Kynn Bartlett.
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/69732580

To use your example, here is an excerpt:

"Pixels are absolute units; they do not scale with the user's
preferences.  Ems are relative unites; relative units are calculated
based on the current font.  Other units you can use include points (pt),
centimeters (cm), inches (in), and percentages." [page 110]

Another good resource that I like is "The CSS anthology : 101 essential
tips, tricks & hacks" by Rachel Andrew.
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/57144293

This one, though, is more of a "how to" style book (i.e. how to create
this type of page, a CSS menu, etc.) rather than a reference.

I have found that often times the best CSS resource for someone is at
least partly a personal choice.  Hopefully this, and other people's
suggestions, will connect you with your best choice.

Rick Mason