[Web4lib] Ready Reference Web Sites

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 17:10:09 EDT 2007

Which is why I think that visual clues are the most critical part of getting
something like this to work. I agree with you *if* the user has to hit enter
to search, as any typical search does.  However, if you think of it as
"type-to-filter" rather than "type-to-query", I think users would catch on
pretty quickly.
If the list is filtered in realtime, with the user seeing things dropping
off the list visually, there's a much lower perceived risk factor on the
part of the user, where they can quickly reformulate their query without
waiting for the system to reply.

I see it as the difference between a conversation (type something, enter,
wait for reply, evaluate reply, reformat query, repeat) and a stream of
consciousness output (typing and evaluation happens simultaneously - your
user does not have to switch modes to evaluate output.)  The key here is to
use an asynchronous technology that will facilitate this, as well as the
proper visual clues to indicate what is happening to the filtered results.

It also has to do with visual presentation of the input box to provide
further clues as to what its functionality is.

*"We all expect search boxes to search content, not descriptions of
content."*
*
*
I don't think I agree with you on this one.   The truth is, we don't know
*what* to expect when we search something, since every search engine
provides the same interface without giving any clues on what to expect the
output to be.

However, I *do* agree with you 1000% on your last point - libraries
providing different search boxes for different content is just plain dumb.
 I think this speaks to the fact that users don't know what to expect when
they type something in.  They rightly expect that searching something on the
library site will search the library site, *including* the catalogue, in
much the same way that they expect that physically visiting a library will
mean they can physically see the materials, or find out about services, or
both.