[Web4lib] Ready Reference Web Sites

Derik Badman dbadman at temple.edu
Mon Sep 10 11:45:59 EDT 2007

On Sep 10, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Christopher Barr wrote:

> The question now is how we make these giant link dumps usable. What
> kind of user is going to have the patience to sort through these
> giant pages with 100+ links? I would say that LSU and Purdue get
> close, but without a librarian on hand or tons of time how will
> these pages be used?
>
> This is something I am dealing with at the moment on our site with
> subject guides where librarians somethimes want to include
> everything but the kitchen sink. I imagine undergrads who become
> overwhelmed and miss out on the resources they need.

Google Custom Search has an option for search only the content of
sites listed on a single web page (ie it will only search the
contents of the site in your link list).

I've put this to use on our Online Reference Resources page:
http://library.temple.edu/articles/subject_guides/reference.jsp

Derik A. Badman
Digital Services Librarian
Reference Librarian for Education and Social Administration
Temple University Libraries
Paley Library 121
Phone: 215-204-5250
Email: dbadman at temple.edu
AIM: derikbad

"Some people cry out against the acceleration of time, others cry out
against stagnation. They're both right." -Henri Lefebvre