[Web4lib] using php on microsoft 2003 server

Ricardo M. Garcia ricardo at clicc.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 25 21:45:20 EDT 2007

Ray,
	We run PHP on our web server here at the UCLA CLICC Lab (we are
a unit of the UCLA Library, but our websites are in support of our
computing commons and electronic classrooms).  We've been running php5
for about 24 months as an ISAPI module on Windows Server 2003 with good
results.
	I've noticed that some of the extensions don't always work
perfectly for Windows (like php_openssl or php_snmp, for example)...
some releases of PHP they work great, and some they don't work at all,
so I need to test them individually.  The core distribution works pretty
well, but my *unscientific* observation is it doesn't always work well
on larger, enterprise level servers with lots of RAM.  With some
releases, they work great on my smaller test servers, but on my
production server I sometimes get strange memory problems.  I'm running
php-5.2.1 right now and it works great, but php-5.2.4 gave me problems
so I'm waiting to test the next release.

Hope that helps!
Ricardo

Ricardo M. Garcia
Systems Manager
College Library Instructional Computing Commons
145 Powell Library
University of California, Los Angeles