[Web4lib] Libraries, OCA, Google make first page of the NYT

Tom Keays tomkeays at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:05:09 EDT 2007

O'Reilly Radar thought that paragraph was interesting too.

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/10/open_library_an.html

They say:

This is noteworthy -- it proclaims library rights to engage in the
restricted distribution of a digital facsimile of an analog copy of
out-of-print (and potentially in-copyright) works, using inter-library
loan terms as the foundation, recast with appropriate protections.
IANAL, but this could be reasonably understood to be a re-assertion of
inter-library loan rights under the first-sale doctrine.

This uniquely defined service allows us to add these volumes under
restrained but eminently useful terms to the steadily growing corpus
of volumes published between 1923 and 1963 whose copyright was never
re-registered, and therefore in the public domain, for which we can
provide full access. Strategies such as digital ILL help unlock our
past, providing us with more complete access across the greatest range
of information.