[Web4lib] Follow Up On The Analysis Of Open Source ILS Market Penetration

Joshua M. Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Tue Oct 23 15:36:05 EDT 2007

----- "Bob Molyneux" <drdata at molyneux.com> wrote:
> >The remarks about the 23 INCOLSA libraries are ambiguous.  If this number
> >represents only a marketing agreement between INCOLSA and LibLime, then it
> >should not be included in any count of libraries going with an open source
> >ILS.  The marketing agreement could be mentioned in a footnote to the
>
> >numbers chart, because it is significant information, but if it does not
> >represent actual users or libraries that have made a commitment to install
> >a system, then it should not be included in any count.
> Au contrare, mon ami, on rereading that section, I find it very clear. I
> might even say "pellucid" given its admirable concision. The ambiguityis
> between the Web page where INCOLSA and in lib-web-cats. It was my sad duty
> to point it out.
>
> lib-web-cats assigned those libraries to Koha. The INCOLSA Web page
> says it has the arrangement with LibLime for its member libraries says that LibLime
> will help those libraries implement either Koha or Evergreen (among other
> open source applications). If not, why the reference to Evergreen's being
> available to INCOLSA members, complete with a picture of a box labelled
> "Evergreen" with a LibLime logo on it? Which is it, then? Therefore, my
> description of this ambiguous situation is accurate.
I apologize for not clarifying this seeming ambiguity in our email exchange
off-list, but perhaps a more careful read of the press release is in order;
specifically, all of the ISLC libraries will be running Koha. LibLime has a
separate agreement with Incolsa (not the ISLC) to deploy Evergreen solutions
for members not part of the ISLC who fit the bill for that solution (the
agreement covers all of LibLime's products).

Note that the press release title is "INCOLSA Selects Koha for Indiana Shared
Library Catalog" so that should have been clear enough, but in the body it
states:

"...have announced that the Indiana Shared Library Catalog (ISLC) is
migrating to Koha ZOOM for their next integrated library system (ILS)
and union catalog."
--http://liblime.com/news-items/press-releases/incolsa-selects-koha/

Also, I see that your latest charts still don't include the 30+ library
systems I sent you who have committed to Koha as part of the Central
Kansas consortium (Pathfinder Central).

Thanks for the work in maintaining this information, I'm looking forward to
seeing the OSS solutions expand.

Cheers,