[Web4lib] Libraries, OCA, Google make first page of the NYT

Leslie Johnston johnston at virginia.edu
Mon Oct 22 14:53:51 EDT 2007

At 02:45 PM 10/22/2007, B.G. Sloan wrote:

>   I thought the final paragraph of the article was very interesting:
>
>   "On Wednesday the Internet Archive announced, together with the
> Boston Public Library and the library of the Marine Biological
> Laboratory and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, that it would
> start scanning out-of-print but in-copyright works to be
> distributed through a digital interlibrary loan system."
>
>   I couldn't find a mention on the OCA web site about how they are
> tackling the copyright issue when it comes to scaning in-copyright
> out-of-print books?

In the general OCA project, they don't -- they only scan volumes from
1922 and earlier.  1923 and later is out-of-scope for OCA.

I am very interested in seeing how they go about building a document
repository for in-copyright works that is meant for ILL.  I thought
that general practice was that entire volumes were never digitized
for ILL document delivery.  Someone with more experience in ILL
should weigh in here.