FW: [Web4lib] Favorite open source books and/or online resources?

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Mon Oct 22 09:55:30 EDT 2007

Although not ranked highly on LT, I would conjecture to say that most OSS
programmers are quite familiar with the Cathedral and the Bazaar a very old
book in terms of the computer age.  At Eric's site is also links to
"Commentary and Argument" which also offers opposing views to his idea of OSS
versus commercial software.  Eric is quite out spoken as an advocate of
freedom in many facets such as speech and software.

Although it looks like Eric Raymond's WEB site had not been updated in quite
some time.  I met Eric at a Python conference in DC where he was the keynote
and he was quite excited and motivated about Open Source Software.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/

Thomas

On Saturday 20 October 2007 11:27, K.G. Schneider wrote:
> YOu might also look at LibraryThing's recommended works for these
> titles:
>
> http://www.librarything.com/work/28530
>
> http://www.librarything.com/work/1922156
>
> Having skimmed "Cathedral," it's amusing to me (but not too surprising)
> that it isn't ranked all that highly on LT. Be a careful and critical
> reader with the books you include on this resource list.
>
> Karen G. Schneider
> kgs at freerangelibrarian.com
>
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:57:51 -0400, "Havens,Andy" <havensa at oclc.org>
>
> said:
> > Wikinomics
> > The Cathedral and the Bazaar
> >

> > - A
> > Andy Havens
> > OCLC: Manager, Branding and Creative Services

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst		P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  As videos could be 25 pictures
per second and might last several minutes, how many words is that?
- Linux Journal, July 2007

Library Systems Help Desk: http://www.library.appstate.edu/help/