[Web4lib] Mouse pads

Phillip Whitford PWhitford at Braswell-Library.org
Wed Oct 17 14:42:13 EDT 2007

We haven't bought mouse pads in years so if I may here are a couple of
alternative suggestions: If you can ditch the ball mice and go with
optical mice. You can buy MS optical mice by the case (I think that's
about ten mice) for under ten dollars each from suppliers like Global
and Softchoice. No more balls or mouse internals to clean. They work on
many desktops without mouse pads (test one on your desks first) so maybe
you won't need the pads.

If you can't buy the optical mice, or they won't work on your desks, you
may be able to get pads for free. Try checking with your automation
system vendor and see if they will give you their promotional mouse
pads. You can also check with your state library and see if they have
any promotion pads to give away. Your local military recruiting office
is another possible source of free pads. Although, in our experience the
military themed ones tend not to be as durable as the ones provided by
the automation vendor or state library. When we were using mouse pads we
often could outfit the entire library with them for free. The chamber of
commerce, local tourism office, and computer vendors are all possible
sources of free pads.

Many of the free pads we obtained turned out to be very durable and of
high quality. While some of the free pads may not solve your mouse
cleaning problem at least you will have more money for cleaning
supplies.

Phillip B. Whitford
Associate Director for Support Services
Braswell Memorial Library
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my organization.