[Web4lib] RE: Starting an IM Reference service

Nancy E. Sosna Bohm nancy at thesmudge.com
Tue Oct 16 16:26:45 EDT 2007

We are an even smaller college (1400+).
This summer I put a Meebo Widget on the library home page while the head of
public services was in a session on the use of like technologies. So, timing
was essential to buy-in.
Because we're so small we have a lot of times when the widget shows that we
are not available, which is not desirable.
During the summer the librarian who was on duty for reference also covered
the IM reference. During the semesters it's not always possible to do that,
so sometimes a librarian who is working in her office will login to the
Meebo account.
It's not ideal, but we have been able to answer some questions via IM that
might not have been asked otherwise. And the patrons seem greatful.

Nancy E. Sosna Bohm
Associate Reference Librarian
Donnelley and Lee Library
Lake Forest College