[Web4lib] Unmoderated posts on your site?

Rick Mason rcmason at rsproductions.net
Thu Nov 29 16:41:41 EST 2007

Hi Colleen,

My suggestion, at least for your blogs, is to moderate.  I am inclined to agree with you about the group being able to handle most "mean people" (and extreme cases can be banned when needed), but there is another factor:  Spam.

Blogs are attracting spam like crazy.  Think about what you get in a standard e-mail account without spam filtering.  Certain medicinal substances, personal services, and overseas financial transactions dominate blog spam in the same way they dominate e-mail spam.

I suggest that you figure out what a reasonable turnover for moderating comments will be based on your staff workload, then incorporate a message letting users know that their comments may not show up for ##minutes/hours/days.

Hope this helps!

Rick Mason

http://blog.librarysupportstaff.org/