[Web4lib] Constructing sessions from web logs

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Nov 29 14:32:42 EST 2007

Hello Yitzchak,

Although there are some open source programs that may do that, we have
chosen to use http://www.weblogexpert.com/  We've used it since about
1998 and have always  been happy.  The tables and graphs and charts
are easy to read and, most important, easy for non-techie managers to
understand (once they understand the difference between pageviews and
hits).  It gives the options to produce a great many reports/tables
than we ever want, but it is all there.

Paths with counts on paths is one of them.  (Paths, under the heading
access statistics)

The program is $125 bucks now (less when we bought almost a decade
ago), but there is no annual subscription, not maintenance fee, and
you get upgrades forever.

 http://library.boisestate.edu/libwebstats20052006/  is a sample
 report that probably shows 20% of the things you can have it report
 if you're keeping full logs. With most webservers there is a variety
 of log details that you can choose to keep, and we keep it all, since
 you never know when someone will want something.  And we have all the
 raw log files for some 12 years back.

 dan

--
Best regards,