[Web4lib] Amazon's Kindle e-book reader

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Tue Nov 27 14:34:49 EST 2007

Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 11:39:54 AM, you wrote:

> If your files are in the following formats, you can just transfer them
> directly: .azw, .txt, .mobi, .prc, .mp3, or .aa.

> For all other formats (ex. .doc, HTML, .jpg, .gif, .bmp), you have to
> email them to Amazon for conversion.

That would seem to be a fatal flaw.  If the kindle is as easy to read
as claimed (and thus much better than any laptop I've ever seen,
including the one I live on), it would seem to be ideal for many of
the applications in business for which one wouldn't need a full blown
laptop.

However, I can't see a business or a library sending them internal
docs in any of the formats that require conversion.

Most important, they're trying to limit you to reading THEIR BOOKS
(which even Apple doesn't require with an iPod) except perhaps for some
ebooks you might have downloaded from Project Gutenberg or someone
else that does pure text documents.

--
Best regards,
 Dan                            mailto:dan at riverofdata.com