[Web4lib] Kindle

NORMA JEAN HEWLETT hewlett at usfca.edu
Mon Nov 26 18:23:14 EST 2007

>I'm leery of digital rights management software that causes a title to
>*expire* so as to mimic a loan; it's a poor substitute for actually
>being able to borrow a physical item which can easily be shared with
>family, friends, and colleagues.

I have purchased a number of audio books from Audible.com. Their
policy is that Audible members retain access to books we purchase.
This seems like a very fair policy to me. I sometimes wonder if they
regret having such a liberal policy and will change it in the future.

I can download the same book from the audible.com website as many
times as I wish, for as long as it remains "in print" at Audible.
However, they do monitor downloads to see what device is used--I seem
to remember that when I got a new ipod I had to register it with them.
I'm guessing this is a safegard against somebody setting up a download
service for all his friends.

I'm also allowed to burn one copy of each book to cd, and I can do
anything I want with the CDs. I sometimes do this and loan a copy to a
friend. Their software keeps track of how many disks you burn for each
book--when I attempted to burn a second copy of a book it cut me off.
Their customer service is able to override this cut-off--they did it
for me when I found some of my CDs were defective.
Jean Hewlett