[Web4lib] RE:Kindle

Kathryn Silberger Kathryn.Silberger at marist.edu
Wed Nov 21 14:45:20 EST 2007

I believe that in the video introduction they said that Amazon will keep a
list of all the items you have purchased.  If you lose the device or if it
malfunctions in anyway, you can recover your previous purchases.

It could be very convenient to have Amazon keep a personal electronic
library for you.

I haven't read much discussion of this, but the ability to have newspapers
uploaded to the device every day could be quite convenient.  I prefer to
read newspapers on the web, and it is the one thing I would like to have on
a portable device.  When I go to the summer cottage in small town in the
northern midwest, getting a copy of the New York Times is not easy.  I
can't imagine that the subscription fee would be that high.  After all, a
large part of the cost of the newspaper is printing and delivering it.  I
wonder how ads will work on this.  Will they develop annoying popups for
the Kindle?  That would be a deal breaker.

 Katy

Kathryn K. Silberger
Automation Resources Librarian
James A. Cannavino Library
Marist College
3399 North Road
Poughkeepsie, NY  12601
Kathryn.Silberger at marist.edu
(845) 575-3000 x.2419

             "Tim Spalding"
             <tim at librarything
                                       "Kathryn Silberger"
             11/21/2007 02:30          <Kathryn.Silberger at marist.edu>
                                       web4lib at webjunction.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Web4lib] RE:Kindle

Does anyone know what happens to your books if the device goes?
Clearly you're not allowed to make copies, but if you leave your
Kindle on a train is there a way to cut the lost one off and re-load
all your books onto a new device?

On 11/21/07, Kathryn Silberger <Kathryn.Silberger at marist.edu> wrote:
>  Can you read an ebook in the bathtub?  What happens if you get it wet?
> (coffee, juice, etc).   That's not as frivolous as question as it seems.
> wonder what sort of guarantee and service plan they are offering.  We
tend
> to do leisure reading around food and drink and in outdoor settings.  If
> you spill tea on a book, you can still read it.  If you drop the book in
> the bathtub, you can dry it out.  It won't look great, but you can finish
> reading it.  And the monetary loss is much less than the price of a
Kindle.

Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding