[Web4lib] Conversion tool for .swf to .mpg or .avi

Chris Barr christopher.barr at villanova.edu
Tue Nov 13 18:25:28 EST 2007

For Flash to movie conversion I typically use FFMpegX (on Mac):
http://www.ffmpegx.com/
This is a great tool for converting avi & mpeg to FLV files, which is
what Youtube uses in the end. If you want to host your own content and
display an FLV on your site you can then use a youtube like player, such
as: http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Player (free)

If you are willing to shell out a few clams for a nice conversion
utility, Sorenson Squeeze is a very good solution (the best in my
opinion) for compressing web video. It allows you to do batches and
really makes your life easier. http://www.sorensonmedia.com/

One final option is to export from Flash as a Quicktime movie and use
Quicktime Pro ($30) to convert to an mpg to upload to youtube.

Good luck,
Chris Barr
Villanova University