[Web4lib] Re: One consequence of the digitization programs

Walt Crawford waltcrawford at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 12:23:14 EST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Walt Crawford <waltcrawford at gmail.com>
Date: Nov 6, 2007 9:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Web4lib] One consequence of the digitization programs
To: Anders Ericson <anders.ericson at norskbibliotekforening.no>

This could be getting off-topic, but:

"When someone is about to borrow a 3 years old book about the Iraqi war, you
do inform her about the newer ones, don't you?"

I must admit, I've never had that experience in a public OR academic
library--that is, selecting a book from the shelf (or an article from an
aggregator), getting ready to check it out or print it out, and having a
librarian (or virtual librarian, or system message) say "Wait: That may not
be the most current or best information on the topic."

Now, if I took a resource to the reference desk (if there are reference
desks...) or its online equivalent and asked, "Is this the best resource on
Topic X?" I might expect an answer--but what percentage of users will or
should do that, especially with online resources?

I most certainly do not expect (nor would I welcome) librarians or avatars
to get in my face and say "Stop! In the name of Dewey! Before you take that
book. Think it over."

Nor, frankly, do I expect Google Book Search, the Open Library/Open Content
Alliance, MS Live Book Search, or Worldcat.org to point me to--really?
Wikipedia?--to evaluate a digital resource before I use it. (Presumably with
a warning that Wikipedia itself isn't inherently reliable...)

Bibliographic Instruction is lovely. I don't see how it can or should happen
at the point of transaction unless a user asks for it. And most of us won't.

walt crawford